Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Another Step, Another Coming Out

On Friday I asked the nursing home administrator for a meeting with her and the social worker on Monday, I showed her my Carry Letter (It is a letter from my psychologist saying that I am a transsexual; otherwise know as “Get Out of Jail Free” letter.) and asked that on Monday I wanted meet to develop a plan on telling my aunt. My aunt has symptoms of the early stages of Alzheimer's disease, she still has her long term memory but her short term memory is going. If you have seen the movie “Fifty First Dates” I think it will be something like that, only in my case Fifty ‘Coming Outs’, every time I visit her I will have to explain it to her.
The meeting yesterday went very well, they said that they wanted to help in making this as easy as possible for the both of us and they wanted to know what they could do to help. They let me know that they would talk to the staff and let them know about my transition.
The meeting was made easier because it turned out that the administrator’s daughter went to college and her English professor was Jennifer Boylan the author of “She’s Not There: A Life in Two Genders” and her daughter raved about how good of a teacher she is. The administrator also saw Ms. Boylan around the campus when she visited her daughter and she also read her book. So the administrator had some exposure to the trans-community which made it easier to talk to her.
So I feeling that the meeting was both positive and productive.

1 comment: