Monday, March 19, 2007

The True Colors Conference

The annual True Colors Conference is coming up this Friday and Saturday in New Britain, CT at Central Connecticut State University. On the True Colors’ web-site they say they…

  • Had more than 2,700 participants
  • Represented people from 16 states, including attendees from 70 cities and towns in Connecticut
  • Was an authorized field trip for 76 schools - including two middle school groups for the first time!
  • Had the assistance of 175 volunteers
  • Presented a total of 143 workshops and five entertainment venues
  • Offered our first ever, and very successful, best practices track which attracted professionals from all over the country

The list of their accomplishments is pretty amazing, but that is only a small part of the story. The look on the kids faces over shadows all those impressive accomplishments. For the first time in some of these kids’ lives they are free to be themselves, they don’t have to worry what other kids in school think or say or do. No one will hassles them because they are gay, they will be in a safe space and among friends and allies.

I know because about five years ago that is how I felt, I felt a strong sense of community, I felt safe and my internal walls collapsed at least for a while. I could be me. That is why I will be volunteering again this year, so that more kids can have a safe space for them to let down their walls and be able to laugh and be able to smile.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait. It is going to be a blast and I get to do two new workshops!

    BTW, I tagged you. So tag, you are it (check out my blog for details)

    ReplyDelete