Saturday, February 24, 2007

Just What the Doctor Ordered.

Last night after sitting all day in the hearing room I went to a free comedy show. The show was to provide an alternative to a night club act at a local bar which was to feature a blackface comedian drag show but because of pressure from the black and GLBT community the show was canceled. Even though the drag show was canceled the free solidarity comedy show was still performed.

The opening act was Peterson Toscano he did one act from his play "The Re-Education of George W. Bush" the act showed what it would be like if you had to be a black woman for a week, what some of the discrimination is like. It is hard for a white male to imagine what it would be like but Peterson pulled it off beautifully.

The main act was Karen Williams, she had me rolling in laughter from the moment she walked on stage until she finished her act. I can do her justice by telling you some of her routine because her performance was her show and one part built upon the other to build show that is greater than the sum of it parts. She used humor to teach social justice, even though you were laughing in your seats, there was a deeper truth that was very serious.

After her show she took questions from the audience and one of the comments that she made struck me. She said she knew just how many Blacks were in the audience, she said that is one thing black notice; how many other Blacks are in the room. What stuck me was I knew how many trans were in the room (4) and I usually note that also when I walk into a room. Maybe it is a characteristic of a minority group. Hmm…

If you can see either of these shows, go. They are well worth it.

###

On anther note, I am going to be quiet until after Wednesday because Mid-term exams are this week. Just posting what I can sneak in from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment