Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Dilemma

What to do? When I started going to class I didn’t think of the aspect that someone I know will be attending class at the same time. It turns out that an engineer at work that I have know for over twenty years is also attending classes on the same small campus as me. One of his classes begins at the same time as mine and the other begins the same time as mine ends. The campus is small, only three buildings and also I figure I will have to go to the library or bookstore which are in the undergraduate building. Yesterday when I was talking to him he mentioned that he saw my car in the parking lot, it is the only red ’07 Prius there and the licenses plate is VERY distinctive.
Now the quandary, should I tell him before we bump into each other or wait until it happens? I mentioned it to the Human Resources person at work and she seems to think I should tell him.
Your comments are more than welcome, I encourage them!

4 comments:

  1. I am sertain the best solution is that we change cars. I take your new red Prius and you get my '95 Chrysler. Problem solved...

    I don't have any real solution. Just wanted to tell you I am thinking about you (and that you have a awsome car)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have only one choice: drop out!

    Seriously, you are in a tough spot. I think if you tell him, you might as well come out to the whole company because knowing human nature, he is going to tell someone else even if he says he won't (unless he is your most trusted friend, which I don't think is the case.)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you do tell him, he will most likely talk at work. I don't know how big of a deal that would be to you, as I know someone in HR already knows.

    Of course, the likely hood of him seeing you is very high. I think the shock factor would would be worse than hearing it directly from you.
    Either way it is tough, but I vote of telling him. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a few options...
    don't say anything and the chances of him running into exist and then an awkward disclosure ensues.

    say something to him at work privately and the chance that he isn't that receptive and of course his disclosing this information 'for' you to others.

    speak to HR again and if this person works directly with you or for you, I would suggest a departmental meeting WITH HR to disclose this information that can affect your work performance and the atmosphere around you and others.

    of course, you can just say that yes you are taking some courses at the campus which is truthful, and unless he suggests getting together after a class, you really need not say anything further.

    if you do look different than your work persona, the chances could be few that he may recognize you in just a casual pass on campus.

    p

    ReplyDelete