Wednesday, September 06, 2006

News Flash!

We just had an announcement at work telling us that they are going to be starting to phase out our jobs. As the current contacts end they will be laying us off starting in six months and finally ending in the spring of 2008.
What does it mean to me; since I was planning on retiring in the fall of 2008 I will just move my plans up a little earlier. It means that I can start my transitioning a year earlier. It means that I can start getting my masters earlier and they will pay for part of my tuition. But it also means that financially I might be a little strapped for awhile until I can start taking money out of my 401(k)’s and IRA’s (But I think that there is an exception for being laid off).
We all saw the hand writing on the wall with no new contracts coming in, so it wasn’t a complete surprise, but still it will take awhile for it to sink in. It is the other co-workers that I worry about, they will have a hard time trying to make ends meet and paying the bills. Also it is like one big family at work, most of us have been there for over fifteen years and I have been there for twenty-eight years, I will miss them.
So I have mixed feelings, we’ll have to wait to see how they sort out.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that really is big news. I can't imagine working somewhere for 28 years. I've been at my current place for nearly a decade and that is a long time for most people of my generation. There seems to be a sense of wanderlust, or perhaps the misconception of "the grass is always greener on the other side." I hope it all works out well for you and your co-workers.

    ReplyDelete