Thursday, August 24, 2006

Women’s Space

On Monday I wrote about the fact that the Michigan Women's Music Festival ended their policy of discrimination against Transwomen and I think that the topic deserves a follow-up.
I think the whole topic of women’s space vs. transmen or transwomen really boils down to one thing, respect. Respect for one another. If we want to share space with one another we must show respect for the space we are entering. If I go into a lesbian bar, I go in behaving like a guest. I shed any male privilege that I have. I do not go in and plop myself down in chair, sit there with legs a mile apart in a skirt or go to the bathroom, pee standing up and leave the seat up (Yes, I have seen some TG’s do all of this and they haven’t have the slightest clue that they have just alienated the whole bar against us.). We have to realize that most butch dykes do not want to become men nor do most feminine gays what to become women.
I was amazed that the Michigan Women's Music Festival changed their policy on transwomen. I never thought that they would have done it, but they did and we have to show them that we are worthy of the honor.

1 comment: