Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Lamont Won!

No surprise there, in the last couple he was leading in the polls. It was the largest turnout for a primary in Connecticut’s history around forty-five percent, it even beat percentage wise some November’s elections turnout. There were 24,000 people who registered as Democrats (13,000 from new voters) for the election, including me. Who says there is voter apathy, all it only takes are candidates who can motivate the voters. The election was covered by reports from all over the world (BBC and a Japanese new screw) along with C-span, CNN, Fox, NPR and others. It was a forest of satellite trucks in front of the state capital.

I voted for Lamont because;
1. I didn’t like that Lieberman voted for the Energy Bill, it took away state control of energy projects in the state. As a result we are getting a huge natural gas plant floating out in the middle of Long Island Sound. It also gave the oil companies a giant tax break (As if they needed it).
2. Lieberman voted for the Samuel Alito's and John Roberts Supreme Court confirmations and I think Alito brought the Supreme Court too far to the right. We need a centrist court not one that bows to the Christian Right wingers.
3. I didn’t like that Lieberman voted to intervene in the Terri Schiavo case. I think it is a private matter and the federal government should stay out of make that decision. I know because I had to make that decision and it is hard enough without getting tangled up in Congress.
4. Lieberman was also in favor of privatizing parts of Social Security. I don’t know about you but as I near retirement I want to be able to count on the little fixed income that Social Security provides instead of the ups and downs of the stock market. Right now I am watching my 401(k)’s and IRA’s dropping like a rock with the stock market.

It’s going to be a long battle to the November election, Lieberman has entered the race an independent candidate. So much for him being a “true” Democrat as he was saying during the primary race. All the votes weren’t even counted when he announced that he would run as an independent.

1 comment: