Sunday, June 11, 2006

Yikes!

I try to maintain anonymity on the web, never giving out my last name, trying to avoid references that identify me. I had only one reference to my full name and that was because of legal requirements where I had to list a last name but it wasn’t a searchable database. However junk mail does seep through using that information but there is nothing that connects me personally to that information.
Every once in awhile I googled my name just to check that that I still maintain anonymity, well another chink in the armor failed. I found my full femme name posted on a web-site. It was an organization that I did volunteer work for and it was in their brochure thanking all the volunteers.
Why do I care? Well for one big reason; my job, I am not out at work and I don’t want to rock the boat with only two more years to retirement. Here in Connecticut we do not have gender and gender expression in our anti-discrimination laws, it is only a ruling by the state Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities and not formalized in law. Another reason is that I am not out to all of my family and friends yet so I don’t want them to find out that way.
I know, I know a lot of my friends and acquaintances are giggling right now because if all of the photos of Real Arts Ways out there of me on the internet and the fact that I was in one of their trailers in their movie theater. But those pictures don’t have my name attached to them or do anyone from work nor do my friends go RAW’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment